top of page

Digitaku-Ink Jet-Giclée

In Japan they have a printing technique in which they place ink on a fish and press paper against it. The paper is then pealed off the fish and the print is called a Gyotaku.

In America they have a printing technique in which they use a digital ink jet printer (usually made, by the way, in Japan).

Years ago artists and their dealers could not sell a print that was silk-screened, so they made up the term Serigraph to replace the name Silkscreen. Artists and dealers do not want that problem again with ink jet prints, so they made up the term Giclée to represent an ink jet print. I find that term to be a little uppity sounding. Thus I have merged the names Gyotaku and Digital Ink Jet to arrive at Digitaku.

I do not know if this term with ever catch on, but there is at least one museum curator who now uses it.

My ink jet prints are made with an Epson 9600 printer using Epson "Ultrachrome" (tm) inks and Hahnemühle Photo Rag paper. They are printed by me in limited editions, but printed on different sizes within the same edition. Epson states these inks will last over 200 years. I believe this to be true.

bottom of page